The Glamping concept
NOWADAYS, IN THE FIELD OF TOURISM, A TYPE OF TOURIST ACCOMMODATION THAT TRIES, IN AN INNOVATIVE WAY, TO RECONCILE THE COMFORTS OFFERED BY A LUXURY HOTEL WITH THE ADVENTURES AND EXPERIENCES OF TRADITIONAL CAMPING IS MAKING ITS PRESENCE FELT WITH A CERTAIN DEGREE OF STRENGTH AND POTENTIAL. YES, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE FAMOUS GLAMPING. YES […]
Nowadays, in the field of tourism, a type of tourist accommodation is present with a certain degree of strength and potential that tries, in an innovative way, to reconcile the comforts offered by a luxury hotel with the adventures and experiences of traditional camping.
Yes, we are talking about the famous Glamping. If this has caught your attention, we invite you to continue reading.
What is glamping
The word “glamping” is derived from the combination of the word glamour and camping, which means glamorous camping, that is, camping, sleeping or living temporarily in the middle of nature and the outdoors without leaving aside the amenities or comfort of a luxury hotel.
Thus, glamping emerges as a type of nature tourism that allows tourists to be in direct contact with nature without sacrificing their comfort. This tourism trend goes hand in hand with the lifestyle of today’s society, a lifestyle that is increasingly inclined to the protection of the environment and the care of physical health.
Generally, glamping accommodations are located within protected areas such as national parks, mountains, forests, coastlines, among others.
Main characteristics of glamping
Although we already have a definition of what a glamping is, we will develop more specifically some of its main characteristics, this will allow us to have a clearer idea about this emerging tourist accommodation.
- Due to its location, generally close to rural areas, it facilitates the contact of tourists with local activities, such as participating in typical gastronomy.
- It is based on ecological tourism and on putting the traveler in contact with nature.
- It brings with it innovations as tourist lodging, thus providing different experiences to the guest.
- They are accommodations that try to harmonize the comforts of a luxury hotel with the preservation of the environment, so their designs show true ingenuity.
Difference between Glamping and Camping
Although “glamping” and “camping” are two terms that are closely related to each other given their emphasis on contact with nature, we must say that they are not the same thing, and for this we are going to establish their main differences.
- From an economic point of view, glamorous camping is more expensive than traditional camping.
- Glamping offers more comfort and convenience than camping. While in traditional camping people have to sleep on the ground or on a thermal insulator, in glamping there is a comfortable bed.
- Glamping provides greater security and protection due to the fact that it has more facilities than camping. However, camping provides a much closer contact with nature.
- Glamping allows the tourist to stay in places at different times of the year, while camping may not be very favorable when there is bad weather.
- Glamping has services such as water, electricity, bathroom, kitchen and internet; while camping only has the basic elements to survive in nature.
Types of Glamping
There are different types of glamping, so the experiences lived in this type of accommodation will depend on its design. Below, we show you the main types of glamping:
They are glamping with glamour built with wood and among the branches of trees. They are suitable for places where floods may occur or where there are dangerous animals. In addition to offering protection, they make it possible to make those dreams that many had as children come true: to have a tree house.
This type of glamping is a small cabin usually built of wood. They can accommodate different types of environments.
This is a glamping with a design very similar to that of a house, but with the difference that it has a peaked roof made of a light and resistant material.
This is a tent used by the nomads of Central Asia. They have a cylindrical design and the size is like that of a more or less large room.
Their design is inspired by the dwellings of the American Indians. They are usually built with logs and covered with fabric or leather. They have a conical shape and a hole at the top to release air. They are typical of dry or arid environments.
Glamour camping is a type of tourist accommodation that is emerging and becoming more and more popular. And is that this type of accommodation is shown as a more environmentally friendly alternative, while still seeking to offer the comfort of any typical hotel.
Now that you know what glamping is, do you dare to try this variant of eco-tourism?